The situation of human rights in Afghanistan In 1393

Summary Report

This report shows that various areas of human rights are still faced with numerous challenges in Afghanistan. Based on the findings of this report, 733 cases of human rights violation have been registered in 1393, while this figure amounted to 1055 cases in 1392. This figure shows a decrease of 322 registered cases, compared with the year 1392 indicating around 18 percent decrease.

In 1393, out of 733 registered cases, 204 cases were related to violations of the right to effectively addressing of the cases and the right to due proceedings which makes up about 28 percent of all registered cases of human rights violations.

In term of gender segregation, out of 733 cases, 178 cases that makes up 24 percent of the total cases is related to women, and the remaining 555 cases which makes up 76 percent of all registered cases is related to men, while in 1392 about 19.5 percent of all the registered cases was related to women., so it shows 4.5 percent increase in the number of cases related to women compared to the year 1392. Based on findings by this report, out of the total cases of human rights violation, 87 cases is related to children, it means, persons under 18 years old. This figure covers 12 percent of all the registered cases of human rights violation.  While, in 1392, almost 10 percent of the cases was related to children.

One of the serious human rights issues which has recently acquired international importance is the right to life. According to figures recorded in the database of the AIHRC, in 1393, around 57 cases of violation of the right to life have been recorded, out of which 35 cases is related to men, 22 cases is related to women and 11 cases is related to children. The registered cases cover 14 provinces. 

Civilian casualties is the major component of the discussion on the right to life. Number of civilian casualties recorded by the AIHRC shows that 7653 cases of dead and wounded (2899 killed and 4754 wounded) occurred during eleven months ( Hamal to Dalwa) of 1393, while the figure  of registered casualties was 5258 incidents( 2084 killed and 3174 wounded) in eleven months ( Hamal to Dalwa) of 1392. Comparison of these figures shows 31 percent increase in the number of casualties during eleven months in 1393. Similarly, the UNAMA office in Kabul reports 22 percent increase in civilian casualties in 2014.

Database of the AIHRC shows that breakdown of civilian casualties based on the perpetrators has been changed a lot compared to the year 1392.  Civilian casualties committed by the anti-government armed elements during eleven months in 1392 exceeded 4326 incidents (1660 killed and 2666 wounded), while this figure reached 5429 incidents (1970 killed and3459 wounded) during eleven months in 1393 which indicates a 20 percent increase.

The number of civilian casualties committed by pro-government forces ( international forces and government  forces) during eleven months in 1392 reached 248 (121 killed and127 injured), while this figure was 419 ( 144 killed and 275 injured) during eleven months in 1393 which shows 40 percent increase in the number of casualties committed by pro-government forces.

Download the file | Zip file